Monday, June 30, 2014

June 2014 Milk Test Results

The state dairy inspector came rather late this month, and so here it is June 30th and I finally received my results and can write this post now.

As per usual I have exceeded my test goals...

Somatic Cell Count (SCC) <100,000/mL (below the minimum detection level for the test)
Standard Plate Count (SPC) <2500/mL (below the minimum detection level for the test)
Coliform <1/mL (none detected)

Somatic cell count (SCC) can indicate the health of the udder, whether or not the cow has mastitis.  When a cow has an injury to the udder, this number can also be elevated without anything being wrong with the milk.  Standard plate count (SPC) is the total bacteria, the good, the bad, and the ugly.  Coliform is environmental contamination type of bacteria, including, but not limited to, fecal bacteria.

This means the milk you are drinking and serving to your family, and that I am drinking and serving to my family is extremely safe and of very high quality.  In order to keep your milk fresh as long as possible, keep it cold, below 40 degrees F, covered, and in sterilized containers.

I am, of course, very happy with these awesome results on my monthly state-required milk test.  It makes me very pleased to know that I am serving and selling such high quality milk.  The results for ALL raw milk producers is a matter of public record, and I encourage you to inquire with the Idaho State Department of Agriculture at the Dairy Bureau about the results for any raw milk producer you are considering buying from in the state.  Your family's health is worth it, and the Dairy Bureau is happy to provide this information, at no cost to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment