Tuesday, August 6, 2013

This is where your milk comes from

Here she is, Ruby.  My 7 year old jersey cow.  I bought her mom, Fancy, when she was 11 years old and pregnant with Ruby.  Fancy was a good, wonderful cow from a jersey dairy in Emmett Idaho.  This dairy treats all their cows like members of their family.  It's like cow heaven!  Anyway, Fancy was 11 years old and pregnant with Ruby when I bought her.  She calved with no problems on July 27, 2006, and I was delighted to have a new heifer.  Sadly, two years later, Fancy's arthritis was becoming very painful for her, so I put her down.  I salvaged the meat, because I don't believe in being wasteful.  When her abdominal cavity was opened up, all her organs were adhered to the abdominal lining, so she probably didn't have long to live, anyway, and it was good that I was a wise steward.

Anyway, back to Ruby... she's been with me since the day she was born, and has never known any cruelty or harsh treatment.  She's a beautiful cow, content, and calm.  I smooth her path in life, and she gives back so generously, with over 6.5 gallons of milk everyday!  I'm a blessed cow mama!


No comments:

Post a Comment